Certified Scrum Master or Certified Scrum Product Owner: which Scrum training course is for you?
If you are keen to advance your professional skills with Scrum training, but you are unclear which certification to take, you aren’t alone.
The choice primarily has to do with your career plans and goals. There are two choices available to you: Certified Scrum Master® (CSM) or Certified Scrum Product Owner® (CSPO).
The intention of Scrum training is to create efficiencies in organizations, removing barriers and creating value for customers. The traditional role you play in your organization may not determine what certification is best suited to you.
Take a review of these statements to determine which Scrum training course is best for you.
Certified Scrum Master® is for you if:
- You have some Scrum experience and are seeking a certification to simply validate what you already know and can do.
- You are seeking an entry into a Scrum team or a Scrum Master role.
- Your manager or team is looking for you to formalize your knowledge of Scrum to contribute better to the team.
- You want to understand the value of using the Scrum framework over other approaches.
- You want to understand the fundamentals of the Scrum framework.
- You want to understand in-depth how a Scrum team works and the roles within Scrum.
- You want to discover a new way to remove barriers to innovation in your organization.
Innovel’s CSM® course provides you with the most complete knowledge base of the Scrum framework, the Scrum team and industry-insights into how world-class organizations are using Scrum. It prepares you to adopt Scrum principles immediately following the course and add value to your Scrum team.
Certified Scrum Product Owner® is for you if:
- You operate closer to the business side of an organization and represent the views of the stakeholders in your team.
- You already represent the business side of the organization in the Scrum team and are seeking formal training to better understand your role.
- You see yourself as a guide in realizing business outcomes. You are able to rally support, gain resources, and champion the needs of a team.
- You understand the pains of hierarchies and traditional processes and are charged with improving the learning curve and pace of innovation.
- You are a Certified Scrum Master and you are seeking enhanced education in the Scrum framework and roles.
It is possible both Scrum training certifications will be of interest to you. Both CSM and CSPO may be of value to your career or role within an organization – it is common for individuals to take both (we offer a discount for our customers taking both so please contact us).
If you are still unsure which course is best for you, we recommend Certified Scrum Master.